Exploring Nature One Step At A Time

Dances with Crows

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

This blog is dedicated to my friend Reiko, her love of birds opened my eyes to a world of avian beauty. You are a Lovely Tweety Mom…

Dearest Crow,

When you flew up to me on the sidewalk I was honored by your trust, greeting and presence.  Many people have superstitious fears regarding your being, but not me.  I saw it for what it was, a gesture of friendship.  Your delicate dance was an amazing gift and I hope it will not be our last.  I am sure you have seen me heading in to the Forest on many occasions and realize I mean you no harm.  It is obvious you would have stayed to dance longer had an unfortunate event not occurred.

It is at this point I wish to apologize for the behavior of the intoxicated woman who arrived as we danced.  Her declaration that “all Crows should be shot” is not an opinion I share.  Nor do I share her belief that there was something evil about your dance.  I had no idea she was going to lunge at and frighten you, it was an unexpected event.  Perhaps you will come to know that I would never behave this way, nor disrespect your overture of friendship.

Please feel free to fly up to me anytime as I do not see any evil in your spirit, only friendship.  As for the last photograph I took of you, it is clear you saw the evil in the intoxicated woman who was sneaking up behind me.  Thank You for trying to warning me!

Love,
Lee

About these ads

7 responses

1. He/she’s a beauty. Let those who not like crows..well let them eat people. This one wanted to make friends. They more often fly off. Love ur Rick x0x0x0

March 12, 2011 at 1:51 pm

2. The photos are wonderful. I think crows get rather a bad rap. They are so intellegent. They also seem to know who will stop and let them take their time getting off the road and who won’t!

March 12, 2011 at 3:29 pm

• Thank You Linda! You are correct they do get a bad rap :o)
      Kindest Thoughts and Wishes,
      Lee

March 12, 2011 at 7:55 pm

3. Lee, such a lovely blog! It must be my experience with birds that almost gives me a sixth sense about that crow. I know those facial expressions; innocent curiosity,and “I think I like you!”

Enjoyed your blog and photos, Lee. And thank you for the dedication! That crow will be back again – it recognized a sweet soul! ;)

March 13, 2011 at 7:54 pm

• Dear Reiko,
      Remember when you wrote the piece about your birds for my Love Column… that is why I became attuned to the delicate nature of birds. Thank YOU!
      Love,
      Lee

PS It was the most beautiful moment dancing with a Crow!

March 13, 2011 at 9:48 pm

4. Hi and great pictures of a much maligned bird. Your letter to “Dearest Crow” completes this wonderful post.

I live oceanside on the West Coast of Florida. Our seagull are dancers, too.

Thanks!

Phil Edwards

March 20, 2011 at 7:10 am

• Thank You for your kind comment, have not seen a Gull since I moved from Oregon to Arkansas to get married.
      Kindest Thoughts and Wishes,